Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Cooler the BETTER!

Recently our AC went out in our house. For those of you who don't know, Vegas has been well into the 100's and 110's, and our little house has been 81 degrees INSIDE!! So on Friday we call housing to put in a maintenance request to get our AC fixed. They send out this guy who replaces the battery in our thermostat and he takes a quick peek at our unit out side. He tells Troy all is well, and leaves....

The weekend hits, along with a 2 degree increase inside our house... Monday rolls around and they send out another guy. He looks at the unit outside and is out there about 5 minutes and then says "its fixed, just wait an hour and the air should go down. Remember its hot outside." Really? I had no idea that it was so hot, those thoroughly cooked scrambled eggs on my driveway show me no proof at all! Anyway, we decide to leave and go out to dinner and 'wait' for the air to come down.... well we get home and our house is another 2 degrees hotter! It would seem that we are headed in the wrong direction here.... Anyways later on.... its in the middle of the night on Monday, 86 degrees, and we have one very unhappy 23 month old who is sweating like crazy and crying. Oh yes... that was soooo much fun.....

So Tuesday morning rolls around and I call housing again. I was very calm, but I let them know that I was not happy at all and informed them {yet again} that we had pets AND a 2 year old who doesn't do well in 87 degree weather inside his room. Yes 87, it climbed up another degree in the morning. So, they send another person out. This man was close to being twice the age of the other two men, and you know what-- he identified the problem in about 30 seconds and went to work FIXING my AC unit, and not giving me EXCUSES that its 'hot' outside! It turns out that the fan motor was broken and needed to be replaced. This was a 90 minute job that he had to do in 105 degree weather and this kind man still managed to give Brayden a 'hi-5' when he left... and here's why I'm upset:

Two very capable young men (both in their late 20's) had previously came to my house and gave me poor excuses as to why my unit didn't work properly (probably because they knew how much work was involved in fixing it). Then this older gentleman came out and fixed it without complaint. It upsets me because he was older than the two other guys and it must have been harder for him to work out in that kind of heat for such a long time. Not to mention removing and assembling various pieces of my new AC motor outside in the scorching heat!! Even the birds were sweating, it was sooooo freaking hot!! So, the moral of my story is next time I see those two lazy gentlemen... it will be hard to NOT pick up Brayden's rubber bat (that doesn't really exist) and beat them with it! And the next time I see the older, kinder gentleman... well I think I'll bake him some brownies and tell him how much I appreciate hard working people like him that made my home a better place to live.

Time to think: Since when did we get the mind set as to 'not working hard' and still getting a pay check? Apparently people that are my age need to be reminded by the generations before us, and work on our 'working ethic' sheesh!...... Sorry for this major soap box. I'll make you all brownies just for listening.

5 comments:

Netts Nook said...

Where are my brownies. Just kidding I am on a diet you can send me a picture.

Shannon Wallace said...

I can't believe you didn't call me! Seriously, we have a queen size Aerobed, and you guys can ALWAYS stay at mi casa. Now I feel like a horrible friend for not calling one more time to check up on the A/C situation. :o(

The irony of the younger generation and the older generation (in which this has almost always been my experience with Landings maintenance; older peeps do fantastic work, younger ones huff and puff and don't lift a finger) is this: I'm currently reading a Christian-based book called Managers of Their Chores. WOW, I'm only on pg. 29 and I'm blown away with what I've learned and haven't thought of concerning giving our children chores and responsibility. Most likely that younger generation wasn't given chores, thus which resulted in a slothish work ethic.

Was it Ron or Kernel that fixed the A/C? They are both diligent workers!

Scarlett said...

Wow! I think I would have had to stay in a hotel! You are a trooper for staying so calm! How can you stand the heat? I think I would die! Oh, and sorry I haven't gotten back to you about that whole thing we were talking about on Facebook. It's too long a story to write out. I'll give you all the details when I see you next month!

Aurie Jenkins said...

WE had the same problem with our A/C twice one summer and the same thing happened, nothing is wrong or this little thing is wrong and it was never fixed (its just hot outside, yatta yatta) anyway ron and Kernel both wound up fixing it on each occassion while none of the young ones, same thing in our bathroom, they had to rip out the whole thing and they just kept telling me everything is fine, until a week before I was due with landon and they find out its not fine, when kernel comes out and they ripped out one wall in the master bedroom and bathroom, I had no bathroom for 3 days. I was so frustrated that they had not figured it out sooner. sometimes I really wonder about peoples work ethic. I think shannon is right, teach them young!

Aurie Jenkins said...

oh and sorry that happened. I am sitting here sweating just thinking about how hot it was for you, Im so sorry!