Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What's in a Name?

Its tax time, and the only thing I think about this time of year is.... how my official last name is still Niederhauser, even though we've been married for 6 years!! One would think I would learn my lesson and change my name! But no, I only think about it one day a year..... and nothing makes Troy madder! He says that after 6 years he's paid his dues and I should 'officially' change my name. Well he says this every year, and you know what... every year I say "I will" and then I never do..... Oops. Sorry babe. I like your name, I promise. Even if I still have to spell it to everyone everywhere I go, just like I did Niederhauser...... and for those of you who don't know.... It's g-r-A-y! That's a whole lot easier than spelling n i e-d e r-h a u-s e r ...and I'll be honest, I don't miss all the crazy questions/comments that went along with that name. For instance:

"Thats a mouth full!"
"Try saying that ten times fast."
"Where's your accent?"
"Your German aren't you!"
"That's an unusual name, isn't it?"
"Are you related to that paper factory?" NO! That's Weyerhauser, you nerds!
"My goodness, how did you ever learn how to spell that?" (and I learned it in a song that kinda went like this: N is for nice, I is for ice, E is for eyes, D is for dice... etc)
And the most common miss-pronunciation of my name was Nigh-derhauser. (Well its pronounced Neeederhauser, just so you know).

While I don't miss any of that, I kinda miss the name. I'm proud of my SWISS, yes Swiss, ancestors. And would you believe it, when they came to America-- they shortened the name.. so it used to be longer!! And don't get me wrong, I'm happy and glad to be a Gray- but being a Niederhauser, or should I say von Niederhausern, had the coolest story behind it. And it seemed like everyone I talked to, knew at least one person that I was related to-- which was an easy conversation starter. Plus I always got asked 'what does your name mean?' .... Well it means "Down House" in German, aka basement.

Ok, I'm rambling now so I'll stop. I will make an appointment and change my name officially... I guess, if I have to. -Hehe.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I love this post! I definitely couldn't change my previous last name fast enough, it seemed that I had to wait months. I have to admit your maiden name is pretty cool!

Scarlett said...

You are so freakin hilarious! You slacker! I changed my name a couple months after I got married! You should do it before he comes home. That would be a great welcome home present!